Saturday, September 29, 2007

INFORMATION BLOGS ARE BETTER THAN VANITY BLOGS!

SUMMARIZE YOUR RESEARCH ON A VANITY BLOG AND A INFORMATION BLOG
The first blog I went to was a vanity blog about a guy named Jason. He lives in Canada with his wife. He had recently gone to an amusement park and had pictures of him and his friends in go-carts. They were cute! Ironically he is a technology geek so that was funny in the fact that I am just the opposite and know very little. He talked about what he installed on his computer lately, about burning CD's and his camera. Jason's blog site is http://www.jasondunn.com/.

The second site I went to was an informational blog about one of my favorite foods, candy. The blog site was called "Candy Addict". The site talks about how this is their two year anniversary and that they are going to give away, what else, candy. They talked about where you could order these delicious truffles (they looked awesome) from. They described how to make a friend who is a computer geek, a computer treat with graham crackers and other little candies. They talked about the search for the perfect smore and that they found it, so you could have it too. They'll tell you about the 10 grossest candies. You can also buy all kinds of candy from them, especially candy from the past that is hard to find. They also had the funniest story about SNEAKERS, that you'll have to read at http://candyaddict.com/blog/index.php.

Yes, I think both types of blogs are effective at what they are try to accomplish. The vanity blog is effective because it is all about the person who's writing the blog and what they have to say. The purpose is to bio the writer and it is the most common type of blog on the web. The information blogs are effective because they describe details on the particular interest of a site.

A good information blog will be a source that leads you to the information you're looking for. The Candy Addict site gave you an array of candies to order from, told you where you can find specialty candy and how to make your own. They told you about great chocolates and their history, as well as some awful candy that you'll want to avoid. The vanity blogs to me are less interesting, because I have no desire to read about someone else's life. I would say for someone who does, it would have to be funny, dramatic, freaky or give some sort of insight on a certain point of interest to the reader.

I would say that in this assignment that it somewhat supports my thesis. I would say that because I don't think that these blogging sites are real journalism. I would still rather pick up a People magazine and read about somebody famous, rather than John Doe on a blog. As for the information blog, I get magazines advertising things I'm interested in already and probably wouldn't use the computer to get them. I know I'm probably in the minority when it comes to using the computer, but that's just me. I will still go with my original thesis statement in the end.

1 comment:

Jason Dunn said...

Terry,

Thank you for your thoughts on my blog. I've written a response which you can find here:

http://www.jasondunn.com/vanity-information-blog-554

I hope you find my response helpful - every blog has information of value to someone, somewhere. :-)

- Jason